“To read is to fly: it is to soar to a point of vantage which gives a view over wide terrains of history, human variety, ideas, shared experience and the fruits of many inquiries.”
-A C Grayling

Monday, August 24, 2009

To Make Men Free

Pg 14 "It was ironic, he supposed, to be looking for peace while going to war, but the peace he sought was internal."

Wow. This series is easily one of the best I have ever read. Now I have only finished book 2 of 4 so that is a little premature, but wow.

When Lance and I sold pest control in New Orleans, LA several years ago, we went to tour a beautiful plantation home called Oak Alley. At the time, I was fascinated by the architecture and the perfect restorative condition of the main house. I remember reading a little about the slaves and viewing some of the outhouses, but now I would love to visit again with the history and viewpoint of this book in my mind. I know I would have an entirely different visit after reading this novel.

Allen, the author, spent much time reading personal narratives, journals and accounts of people who lived through the ever changing, dramatic years of the civil war and it is as if those people come alive again through her thoughtfully constructed characters. She is so devoted to historical accuracies that when, for the sake of the story, she changes events even slightly she notes the chapter and the actual history in the back of each novel.
I can't get enough of these novels and the second I finished this one was back to the library to pick up the third book.

Allen's eloquent and descriptive writing at times leaves you holding your breath, angry, tearful, shocked, proud, hurt, dismayed, downright gleeful and on and on.

No comments:

Post a Comment