“To read is to fly: it is to soar to a point of vantage which gives a view over wide terrains of history, human variety, ideas, shared experience and the fruits of many inquiries.”
-A C Grayling

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Saboteur

I loved this novel, the only thing missing is a Volume Number 2. Not that it needs it, but because Hughes makes you fall in love with the story wishing it would never end. I am a sucker for Historical Fiction. I was going to minor in History, but found myself a little bored with the dry way it comes across in a classroom. Hughes spends a lot of time and effort to get things Historically correct. It's like you are listening to your Grandfather (if he was an amazing storyteller like mine was) tell the stories of his youth. Seeing World War Two through the characters eyes as if they actually lived it. Military Strategy, Battles, Home life all described as accurately as possible through an amazing story that will thrill you, make you cry, fall in love, and learn the history of our Country in a unique, interesting, and fun way.


1 comment:

  1. Hey Bettie wow great blog. I loved this book also I actually spent a bit of time researching Hughes books hoping to find a second volume to this book. I read one by hughes that was so similar I kept confusing the two main characters in my memory. I will try and remember the other title and send it your way

    ReplyDelete