“To read is to fly: it is to soar to a point of vantage which gives a view over wide terrains of history, human variety, ideas, shared experience and the fruits of many inquiries.”
-A C Grayling

Friday, October 23, 2009

Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

This novelwas very intriguing, disturbing and intense. It makes you question every move you make as a parent and look at all those tormented kids in high school with new open eyes.

Very Short Synopsis: A tormented 17 year old kid opens fire on his high school for 19 minutes after years of being bullied. The story follows his youth and his trial. The novel looks at the relationships between parent and child and different peer groups.

BUT... I would NOT recommend this book. It used the "f" word about 300 times and had several 'teen sex episodes.' I was looking for another novel by this author called My Sister's Keeper, but when the library did not have it in, I picked up this one. Picoult is a great writer and keeps you glued, but as someone who does not have a TV in my home and does not watch R rated movies, I was not prepared for the language and content.

No comments:

Post a Comment